Sunday, February 28, 2010

Roller-Coaster February

So February was kind of a roller-coaster month for us. I think I still have some of those crazy post partum hormones too so it was even more dramatic for me. As I mentioned in the last post, I got a job working with a Hospice agency and it seemed to have some real potential so we were very excited at first. What I soon came to realize was that even though I only see a few patients a week, I was called and asked to do stuff throughout the week and it was just a big interruption to my day. I was also promised some things that just were not panning out. So with a heavy heart and after several talks with Jayson, I called my friend and told her it was not working out for me and that I needed to quit. She took the news very well and after I visit my patients tomorrow, I am free from the stress of that job.
Well, during all this, I had been interviewing for other jobs because the Hospice job would not have brought in as much money as we needed to pay our bills every month. I got a call from a nursing home saying they wanted to hire me and I accepted. (I was not excited about it, but at least it was a job) Later that same day, I got a phone call from a rehab facility telling me they wanted me to work there! Two job offers in one day wasn't bad, but now we were faced at choosing what one would be best for our family.
To make this long story shorter for those of you falling asleep, I accepted a job at Pine View transitional rehab and I started last Thursday. The job is a PRN job which means "as needed" for those of you who don't speak nurse. I can sign up for days that they need filled, but I don't have a set schedule and can pick and choose when I want to work.
I had an awesome first week ( I have worked three shifts so far) and I am starting to get the hang of things. The patient load is somewhat overwhelming at times because I'm used to having only 4-5 patients and here I have 13-15 patients at a time! It is all going very well and I feel so good and at peace about my decision, which is not how I felt doing Hospice.
The best thing about it is that when I sign anything I get to put a neat little "RN" after my name-pretty cool if you ask me! It still doesn't seem real!

2 comments:

KT said...

That's so awesome Selina! To think years ago, we were struggling w/our math class haha.
Glad you found a job that feels right, and sounds perfect that you get to pick your days.
I miss you, when can we go to lunch w/Brooke and Elisa?

Brooke said...

I'm glad you got what works out for your family. I love to see you happy.