Monday, November 22, 2010

Sleeping

I have always been a big believer in sleep. My mom tells me I was the best little napper when I was little. I would tell her when I wanted to take a nap and just go to sleep. So it is not surprising that for the last year (or more) I have been very cranky more often than not due to lack of sleep. So sorry for Jayson and my kids! It's not like I hadn't tried to get the baby to sleep-I tried several different methods, but nothing worked!
So two weeks ago I had decided that Paxton would sleep through the night if it killed me! I took away the pacifier and I pretty much stopped breast feeding. I was going to make this baby sleep!
What I did was this: let him fall asleep at night without feeding him or giving him the pacifier to start with. When he woke up, I would let him cry for five minutes then go in and lay him back down and pat his back. I would then leave the room and if necessary let him cry for ten minutes and repeat-increasing by five minutes each time. Only one night did I give in and feed him, but that is it.
Jayson slept with Caiden in our bedroom downstairs so that they would get their rest. I am happy to report that Paxton has slept all night 4 out of 14 times now! To many of you this may not seem like much but to us it is huge considering he had previously only slept all night about 4 times his whole life. Last night I got home from work and went to sleep about midnight and was so happy that I did not wake up to my children until about 7 this morning! Seven straight hours of sleep was so very needed and appreciated!!

2 comments:

The Peters Family said...

YEA!!!
You go momma.

Brooke said...

im glad you got some sleep! hope it continues.